Sunday 6 February 2011

Happy Hair Days - Natural Shampoo & Conditioner

Usually at the weekends I stay at my boyfriends house, and in the interest of saving space in my overnight bag I never pack shampoo and conditioner; instead I just use whatever my boy's mum has in her bathroom. This morning I was having a lovely soak while my boy was out playing football and I spotted these on the edge of the bath:
Happy Hair Days Pomegranate & Ginger Moisturising Shampoo and Conditioner 300ml

What caught my eye was the claim on the front of the bottles: NO Parabens and NO Sulphates.

I've seen quite a few blog posts recently about the effects of parabens and SLS which can be found in many personal care products. If I'm honest, I never paid too much attention to what these are, but today I had a little look on Google to get some information.

Parabens are found in a variety of everyday products - cosmetics, deodorant, face cream, shampoo and toothpaste. The biggest risk from parabens seems to be from the use of products that require a prolonged exposure to skin, such as skin creams and facial lotions. The longer that the parabens are on the skin, the more opportunity there is for parabens to be absorbed. One of the biggest areas of concern is the effect of parabens on breast cancer.

Sodium lauryl sulphate, or SLS causes the products in which it is used to “foam up” and lather. SLS and its close cousin Sodium laureth sulphate (SLES) can cause scalp and skin irritations, dried out skin, irritated eyes, and swelling of the hands, face and arms among other irritations and skin problems, and can dry out and damage hair follicles.

So I thought I'd try this shampoo and conditioner out.

Despite having no sulphates, this shampoo foamed up really well and I didn't need to use any more than I usually would to cover all of my hair. The pomegranate and ginger smell is quite strong, but very lovely!

The conditioner also didn't disappoint. It has a good thick texture which I loved and it spreads easily and evenly through my hair. Once washed off my hair felt clean and soft and after towel drying, my hair was smooth and tangle free and I had no problem brushing it out.

The smell didn't linger too strongly on my hair after washing the products out but I caught faint scents of it while brushing it out which was nice.

Having never heard of this brand before I Googled for it but unfortunately couldn't find any website. It is, however, sold at Boots for £3.99 for the shampoo and £4.07 for the conditioner; I'm not sure of the reason for the difference in prices! Both bottles are 300ml which seems like pretty good value for money to me.

As well as moisturising shampoo & conditioner, they also do smoothing s&c in pear and blueberry and glossing s&c in lemongrass and basil which all sound equally as lovely.

I'm definitely going to be purchasing these on my next shopping trip - I hope this review was helpful!



9 comments:

  1. Really good post, I need to start being more aware of parabans in my purchases.

    http://miss-lv.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Miss LV - Same here, I never gave it a second thought before I started reading posts about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh i've never seen these shampoos but i'll defo be purchasing them, the pear & blueberry sounds brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post.
    Looking forward to seeing the post that says which blogs you are going to pass the award 2

    http://beaufashionxoxo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I love the packaging, lovely (=

    ReplyDelete
  6. @smoosh_kissxx - I don't know if they are new, but I think they are definitely worth buying.

    @...Beau Fashion... - Hopefully this week I will pass the award on, I'm busy busy!

    @GABY - Thanks! Yeah, it's simple but effective!

    ReplyDelete
  7. must keep a look out for this x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm currently using the Mint and Rosemary Volume range of this brand, I really like the products and they smell gorgeous. This one sounds lovely too. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...