Wednesday 23 February 2011

First MAC Purchase - Prep & Prime


Last week I ran out of primer - disaster!

I usually use L'Oreal Studio Secrets Smoothing Resurfacing Primer, but before I dashed out to buy a new one I happened to read a post on Pixiwoo's blog about L'Oreal testing their product ingredients on animals. So that put a stop to that - no more L'Oreal for me.

For me, a good primer is essential. It keeps my makeup in place and creates a lovely base to apply makeup on to start with. Without it I feel I am constantly dusting translucent powder over my face and I really really hate this as it makes my face feel heavy and overloaded with product.

I wasn't sure which primer to go for and out of curiosity I found myself on the MAC website. I usually shy away from MAC, primarily because I can't justify the cost, and secondly because I am by no means an expert at applying makeup so drugstore brands suit just fine.

However!

The L'Oreal primer costs me £14.29 for 15ml which yes, is a little on the expensive side but I honestly can't live without primer, it's a need more than a want. The MAC Prep & Prime was £14.50 for 15ml - hardly any difference at all so I thought 'why not?' 


It arrived last Thursday and I have been happily using it ever since.

They Say: "A light, oil-free emulsion that helps cloak visible pores while controlling oil and shine. Applies “wet” for a gentle micro-exfoliation: dries instantly to create an invisible, long-lasting natural matte finish. Ideal for the T-zone."


I Say: "I was a little worried about the 'wet' application as I read a couple of reviews (after purchase) that claimed it took forever to dry and that makeup didn't apply well over the top of it. But after using it, I can happily say it is by far a superior primer to L'Oreal and I wish I'd been aware of it a long time ago!

I apply the smallest amount to my cheeks, nose, forehead and chin - it dries instantly and leaves my skin soft and matte. It doesn't cover my pores up but it seems to 'coat' them so the foundation and concealer I apply over the the top doesn't sink into my pores and make them more visible. It really does create the best base for makeup and even my boyfriend commented on how nice my skin was looking after using it.


This has been the best £15 I have spent in a long time - it's worth the money just for the extra confidence it gives me because I know my makeup will stay looking freshly applied all day.
If you have oily skin/large pores I really cannot recommend this enough.
A definite 5 out of 5 monkeys!"


This does bring me to a dilemma though - obviously I'm not buying any more products from L'Oreal due to the animal testing, but what about the products I already own? Throw them out? Use them up then find alternatives?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this!

8 comments:

  1. I recently discovered L'Oreal test on animals and i threw the products away - thankfully i only had two products from them. Neutrogena also test on animals, i went on peta.com and found out loads.

    Thankfully Mac don't test on animals =] xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review hun, I use the L'Oreal Studio Secrets Smoothing Resurfacing Primer too, I never knew they tested on animals! I will finish what I have left but will defo not be buying it again! Maybe I will try this mac one out instead x

    http://miss-lv.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hayles - I didn't know Neutrogena did; I'll have to get onto Peta and have a look!

    @Miss LV - I really really rate this, even after a weeks use - you should defo try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. loreal test on animals :| okay i'm binning my stuff, I dont own anything neutrogena so that was lucky! I'm actually quite disgusted at that so thanks for letting me know :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Adrienne - I know, right? I honestly thought in this day and age, why do we need to test on animals?? Very disappointing :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found out about Loreal testing on animals recently and was absolutely gutted and very disappointed!
    Thanks so much for this review - I have been thinking about getting this for a while and think I have been swayed! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lila Loves - Let me know how you get on with it if you do get it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo £14.50???
    Im gonna have to purchase this one soon :) x

    http://peachesxomakeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...